VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS, DETAILS, AND QUALIFICATIONS MAY APPLY. PLEASE READ THESE OFFICIAL RULES FOR MORE INFORMATION.
THESE OFFICIAL RULES GOVERN THE CONTEST. THEY EXEMPT DOCKYARD, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES FROM CERTAIN LIABILITY AND CONTAIN IMPORTANT PROVISIONS. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, THE ENTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND SIGNIFIES THAT THE ENTRANT HAS READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREED TO BE BOUND BY THESE RULES. IF THE ENTRANT DOES NOT AGREE WITH EACH PROVISION OF THESE RULES, THEN THE ENTRANT MAY NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST.
About the Contest
Phoenix Phrenzy (the “Contest” or “Phoenix Phrenzy”) is a skills-based contest in which you can submit any application you build using Phoenix LiveView, starting by forking DockYard’s demo repo, to be voted on for the honor and prestige of being named the 2019 Phoenix Phrenzy winner. The Contest is sponsored by DockYard, Inc. (“DockYard”), whose address is: 18 Shipyard Dr Unit 2A – 26, Hingham, MA 02043.
As used in these Official Rules, unless the context indicates otherwise, the terms “you” and “your,” regardless of capitalization, refers to an entrant in the Contest. The “entrant” is the company, individual, or group of individuals who are the developers of an app entered into this Contest.
How to Enter
- You may enter the Contest between to (the “Entry Period”).
- You must have a GitHub account to enter.
- To enter the Contest, complete the entry form, which will require you to provide the following information:
- The name of your app
- A URL where your app is available to try or view a demo of
- A URL where your code repo is hosted
- A URL providing a screenshot or animated GIF of your app
- A brief project description
- The names of all developers of your app
- The email address for at least one of the developers, so we can contact you about the Contest (e.g., to inform you if your app is selected as the winner)
- Entries must consist of code you (and your co-developers if you have any) wrote yourselves. However, your code may include components that are distributed under any open source software license approved by the Open Source Initiative, as long as you comply with all terms of such licenses, including providing notice and attribution.
- You must be the creator and developer of the app you enter into the Contest; any co-developers must be named as collaborators in your entry form.
- You and your co-developers must be the holder of all copyrights associated with the app, or have permission from the copyright holders to enter the app into the Contest.
- You must make the source code of your app publicly visible during the Contest and, if your entry is selected as the winning entry, for at least one year after the Voting Period ends, so that others can study your app and learn from it. However, you will retain ownership of your app and all intellectual property rights associated with it.
- Entries and comments must follow the Code of Conduct. We reserve the right to exclude those that don’t.
- Code must be written during the Contest Period and should start by forking the demo repo. (Obviously, we can’t tell if you copied and pasted previously-written code. However, since the contest prize is the respect of your peers, you wouldn’t want to ruin that with suspected shenanigans.)
- All information must be complete and accurate to be eligible.
By entering the Contest, you, your co-developers, and the copyright holder(s) of the app represent and warrant that:
- You and the persons listed as collaborators in the entry form include all authors and developers of the application (including its code, user interface, content, and graphics);
- All developers of the application and the copyright holder(s) (if different than the developers) agree to enter the app into this Contest;
- All developers of the application and the copyright holder(s) (if different than the developers) agree to be legally bound by these Official Rules and certify that they have complied with and will continue to comply with these Official Rules;
- The code for your application is an original work of authorship created solely by the developers named in your entry form, and it has not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work or source, other than components that are distributed under any open source software license approved by the Open Source Initiative;
- The submitted application does not contain (a) any image, picture, artwork, or other content owned by a third party unless you have obtained the necessary rights and licenses to use the same in your application; or (b) any image, name, likeness, biographical information, or personal information of an identifiable individual, unless prior written consent has been obtained from such individual(s) to display the same in your application or unless such use is otherwise lawful; and
- Your application does not violate, misappropriate or infringe any copyright, trademark, intellectual property rights, or other rights of any other person or entity.
This Contest is open to entries by individuals who are at least 18 years of age and have reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside at the time of entering the Contest, no matter where located, except those jurisdictions in which this contest is prohibited by law.
Employees, directors, officers, representatives and agents of DockYard and its affiliates, and any service providers providing services related to the Contest, are not eligible to enter the Contest, nor is any person with whom such employee, director, officer, representative, or agent resides. Submissions will be declared ineligible if they are late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, mutilated, forged, corrupted or reproduced.
The sole prize of winning is the honor, prestige, kudos, and bragging rights associated with being named the 2019 winner of the Phoenix Phrenzy Contest. Although we think these benefits are pretty awesome (and we hope you agree), the approximate retail value of this prize is zero dollars ($0.00).
Voting and Winner Selection
One entrant will be selected as the winner. Eligible submissions will be evaluated by a simple up voting process. The winning submission is the entry with the most “up” votes by the end of the voting period, which will begin on and end on (the “Voting Period”).
Anyone with a GitHub account may vote. To vote, you must register using your GitHub account, and then cast your vote during the Voting Period. As a voter, you may add comments to entries as well as up vote the ones you like. You may up vote as many entries as you would like.
The odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received during the Entry Period.
Announcement of Winner
After the end of the Voting Period, we will notify the winner by email. The name of the winner will also be announced on social media and our Contest website at https://phoenixphrenzy.com at . We may also announce the winner via other promotional materials, in any form or medium.
Intellectual Property Rights
All intellectual property relating to this Contest, including but not limited to, trademarks, trade names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source code, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned by DockYard and/or its affiliates. Unauthorized copying or use of such intellectual property is strictly prohibited.
Entering this Contest does not transfer ownership or any intellectual property rights associated with your app to DockYard or any other party. However, by entering the Contest, you and the copyright holder of the app grant DockYard permission to reproduce, display, perform, and distribute materials (e.g., screenshots of your app demo) related to your app that are included or linked to in your entry form for the purpose of administering and promoting the Contest and, if you are selected as the winner, for the purpose of promoting Phoenix LiveView.
Each entrant waives (i) any right to publicity, moral rights, or rights of integrity or attribution, and except where prohibited by law, any right of privacy, and in each case relating to the entry and his, her, or their participation in this Contest, and (ii) any right to inspect or approve uses of the entry or to be compensated for any such uses. To the extent these rights may not be waived legally, each entrant agrees not to assert them. Each entrant fully and forever releases, discharges, and holds harmless DockYard from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action that the entrant may have now or in the future based on any usage or adaptation of your entry including blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of your entry. DockYard shall have no obligation to use the winning entry or any other entry for any purpose.
Integrity of Contest
In the event any portion of this Contest is compromised by virus, bugs, tampering, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of DockYard, which, in the sole opinion of DockYard, corrupts, or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper entry into the Contest, then this contest may be terminated by DockYard without notice.
Persons found or suspected of tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Contest, as determined by DockYard in its sole discretion, will be disqualified from participating as an entrant or a voter.
Limitations of Liability
By entering the Contest, you, your co-developers, and the copyright holder(s) (if different than the developers) of the app release DockYard, and each of its affiliated companies, officers, directors, shareholders, agents, employees, Judges and all others associated with DockYard and this Contest (collectively, the “DockYard Parties”) from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense arising out of participation in this Contest, participation in any Contest-related activity or the acceptance, use, or misuse of the prize, including but not limited to costs, injuries, damage to property, rights of publicity, image or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, or from any and all claims of third parties arising therefrom.
By entering the Contest, you, your co-developers, and the copyright holder(s) of the entered apprelease and hold the DockYard Parties harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss or damage of any kind to the entrant or any other person, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize, participation in this Contest, the online voting, any breach of these Official Rules, or in any Contest-related activity. You, your co-developers, and the copyright holder(s) agree to fully indemnify the DockYard Parties from any and all claims by third parties relating to your entry including without limitation claims of infringement, misappropriation, or violation of intellectual property rights.
DockYard is not responsible and shall have no liability to any Contest entrant, winner, voter, or other person for any of the following:
- any expenses you incur in taking part in the Contest;
- erroneous, damaged, destroyed, lost, late, incomplete, illegible, incorrectly addressed or misdirected entries, regardless of the cause;
- failure for any reason whatsoever to receive prize notification email notification;
- typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of the Contest, including but not limited to, errors in advertising, these Official Rules, the selection and announcement of the winner (and for greater clarification, the names of the winner shall not be announced where prohibited by law), or distribution of the prizes changes in entrant’s contact information after entries are submitted;
- that the Contest cannot be conducted as planned for any reason, including those reasons beyond the control of DockYard, such as tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or corruption of the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest;
- computer, online, telephone, communication, or technical malfunctions or errors that may occur including, without limitation, and failure in electronic or other systems related to the entries and to the online voting, and in each case, regardless of the cause; and damage or loss, including any loss of use, loss of production, loss of profits (anticipated or otherwise), loss of markets, loss or forfeiture of prizes, economic loss, special, indirect or consequential loss or damage or punitive damages, whether in contract, tort, extra- contractual liability or under any other theory of law or equity, arising from, connected with, or relating to the Contest, or entry of apps into the Contest, the online voting, DockYard’s use or exploitation of an entry, in each case regardless of the cause, even if DockYard is aware of the possibility of such damages or if the exclusive remedies stated herein fail of their essential purpose.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, DOCKYARD, ITS AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AND CONTRACTORS HEREBY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES, OBLIGATIONS, LIABILITIES, RIGHTS AND REMEDIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ORAL OR WRITTEN, ARISING BY LAW OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, INFRINGEMENT OR ANY IMPLIED INDEMNITIES. ENTRANTS UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT DOCKYARD HAS NOT MADE, AND ENTRANTS ARE NOT RELYING ON, ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS TO ENTRANTS REGARDING THE VALUE OF THIS CONTEST OR THE ODDS OF BECOMING A WINNER, OR ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, TIMELINESS, LACK OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS AND ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION, PRODUCTS, SERVICES AND RELATED GRAPHICS USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, THESE OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES OR ANY WEBSITES. ALL DATA, INFORMATION, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, PRIZES, AND GRAPHICS RELATED TO THE CONTEST, THESE OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES AND ANY WEBSITES ARE PROVIDED “AS-IS, WHERE-IS”; WITHOUT TECHNICAL SUPPORT OF ANY KIND. ENTRANTS AGREE AND UNDERSTAND THAT THESE OFFICIAL RULES REPRESENT AN AGREED ALLOCATION OF RISK BETWEEN DOCKYARD AND ENTRANTS. DOCKYARD COULD NOT PROVIDE THIS CONTEST “BUT FOR” ENTRANTS’ AGREEMENT AND COMPLIANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES, AND DOCKYARD IS RELYING ON ENTRANTS’ COMPLIANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES TO ENSURE THAT THE CONTEST IS RUN IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE LAW.
The decisions of DockYard shall be final and binding on all matters related to the Contest and shall be final and binding on all entrants. DockYard reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest at any time, subject to applicable laws.
These Official Rules are accessible from https://phoenixphrenzy.com/officialrules throughout the Contest Period. You may also obtain a copy of these Official Contest Rules by sending an email to us at email@example.com with the subject line: “2019 Phoenix Phrenzy Official Rules Request.” Requests must be received no later than one hundred eighty (180) days after the end of the Voting Period.
The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. If any provision of these Official Rules is found by any court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, then the remaining provisions will be construed to give them effect in accordance with their intent, to the fullest extent permitted by law, and all such remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
Our <code> of Conduct
All Phoenix Phrenzy entrants and voters are required to agree with the following Code of Conduct. Organizers will enforce this code throughout the online event. We look forward to full cooperation to foster a safe, thoughtful, and friendly environment for everybody.
DockYard is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), or technology choices. We do not tolerate harassment of entries or voters in comments, or any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any competition material. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the Contest, and will have their entries removed at the discretion of our organizers.
Harassment includes offensive verbal and written comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion, technology choices, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, and harassing photography or recording.
If an entrant or voter engages in harassing behavior, the competition organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or removing them from the competition.
DockYard reserves the right in our sole discretion to disqualify any entrant or voter we find to be actually or presenting the appearance of tampering with the competition process or to be acting in violation of our Code of Conduct or in a manner that is inappropriate.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
For any questions, please email the contest organizers at email@example.com.